Thursday, May 8, 2008

Reverse Culture Shock?

Back in orientation at TUJ, many of the people in Office Of International Students were warning us about "Reverse Culture Shock." I feel that even the Gilman site covers this for returning scholars.

I've given it some thought if I am actually experiencing it. I've been wearing my hair like Masato and painting my nails like him - and if anybody questions it, I tell them "IT IS JAPANESE STYLE!"
When I am with friends, Japan is basically what I talk about. But could it because I just came back?

Suddenly going from Tokyo where I am 15 minutes away from Shibuya to going to Bloomsburg, a rural town in Pennsylvania seems like quite a difference. Because I'm from here, I wouldn't call it "culture shock", but when I am with friends, it seems as if there is nothing to do. I'm used to being in Shibuya, going to some weird stores, maybe going to a bar full of salarymen and OL. But in Bloomsburg, I'm back to hanging out at Wal-Mart like I used to do in High school (especially since most of my friends aren't 21 - so no bar for them). Soon, I will head out for Philadelphia, which will be closer to Tokyo because it's urban - but still, not quite.

However, before I returned, I stated that I was looking forward to coming back, and I am certainly glad to be back. I have stuff to do here before I go back to Japan - like graduate!

Anyway, in other news, my brother, who inspired me for this blog, was on the Colbert Report last night. Hasan Elahi. The reason it inspired me was because wherever he goes, whatever he does, he posts his location on the internet supplied with an image of his surroundings. Additionally, there are photos of everything he's eaten and the toilets he used.

Unfortunately, what I did was not as sophisticated or in-depth, but I feel that this is the best I could do. Since I am now back, I will be going back into my posts by each entry and editing photos into them since I wasn't able to upload ANY of my photos in Japan (insufficient software on my computer).

No comments: